Sarracenia is a pitcher plant that grows in North America. The plant can easily digest and catch insects to infuse nutrients within the body. Therefore, it is often recognized as an insectivorous and carnivorous plant also. There are some useful tips what you should learn before start Cultivating Sarracenia.
Being a part of the pitcher plant as it has modified its leaves to trap the insects, Sarracenia has obtained a unique look. The plant has about 11 species. One of them is Sarracenia Purpurea which is the popular of them all. It is a type of plant that can be cultivated within periphery of the home also. Two sub species of Sarracenia Purpurea can be found. One of them grows in Northeastern region of America and also known as Northern Pitcher Plant. There is another sub species which is generally seen in relatively hot and humid conditions of Southeastern United States.
In case, you like to buy Sarracenia Purpurea plant then you may not have to go through a lot of issues. These plants can easily adapt with the condition.
Is it possible to grow Sarracenia?
Yes, you can easily cultivate Sarracenia within the periphery of your house. However, some tips and tricks must be followed on the occasion.
Following things are generally required by the plant
- Presence of sun is very important for the sarracena. Minimum six hours of sun may be required within span of a day. Influence of the harsh wind must be avoided.
- To cultivate Sarracenia, wet soil is generally preferred that can be seen in summer, spring or winter. The pot must be filled with 3cms of water in most occasions.
- Moist soil must be maintained during winter exclusively.
- Soil with an acidic base along with the peat moss and Sphagnum moss must be utilized. Sand must be mixed with the soil in equal parts also.
- Size of the pot must be twice the size of the bulb from which growth of the plant has been seen mostly.
- Cool weather is considered good for the plant. Minimum temperature of 5°C is preferred in the night for a month.
Sarracenia is generally grown in an acidic and wet soil that has a base of sphagnum moss and peat moss. In case of using peat moss, it is better to add some sand also. Oxygen can be delivered to the root in the process. The process of breathing is generally improved in due course.
Soil must be retained wet during summer, spring and winter with 3cm water in the pot. Sarracenia plant grows naturally in the cold region. Therefore, an abrupt stop in growth can be observed in the autumn. However, it develops once again in spring.
Plastic and drained container is considered best for the pot. In the beginning, you can use a tiny pot. However, it must be repotted once again in a relatively large pot as the plant starts to grow.
Due to adaptable nature of the plant, green house technique may be required exclusively for a place with hot, windy and dry summer.